Monday, October 5, 2015

This is so depressing....

I had my follow up appointment with my Gastro Doc. He said he feels that the pancreatitis may have called the gastroparesis, and he has seen this happen before in a few patients. My endoscopy came back normal as well as the biopsies. I do have GERD and Esophatitis. He wants me to take Prilosec for that.

For the gastroparesis, he is prescribing Nortriptyline and diet modification. I had tried Elavil before for my migraines, which gave me bad side effects, so he is starting me out on 10 mg for a couple weeks to see how I do. If this doesn't help, he is going to try Domperidone. That is the one that you have to order from another country.

The diet modification is basically a low fat/low residue type diet, which is going to be tricky cause I'm a vegetarian and I can't tolerate dairy right now. Plus, I'm still losing weight cause I can only take a few bites of food, and then I feel full.

My other problem is the exhaustion. I still haven't been able to use my CPAP cause of the abdominal pain. It's really hard to wear the mask when your stomach is hurting so bad and you're trying get to sleep. I can feel the years being ticked off my life with the double whammy of sleep apnea and gastroparesis.

4 comments:

migraineur said...

I'm picking my friend's brain for food ideas I'll share when I hear back from her. I'm sorry you're stuck in the loop too. The pain makes you not wear your cpap, which then makes the headaches/migraines and fatigue that much worse. And the pain meds for all of that make the gut slow down even more. Bleh.

So the botox appt was scheduled last Thursday. Ugh. I'd called my insurance, and had an estimate as to what I'd have to pay out of pocket. I'm signing the papers and flip the page, $2278! I knew my head hurts, but that is almost 4 months of mortgage, and I'd have to cough it up every 3 months. No. They called the insurance, and that got it down to a grand, but that's still hundreds more than I had expected. So no botox.

I guess botox comes in vials of 100 units. They inject 110-150 units. They won't split a vital among 2 pt's, so you have to pay for 200 units even though they can only give you 150. Stupid. That was the last visit I will ever have at that Neuro, I felt betrayed. None of this was clearly told to me, until it was injection day. I think they didn't think I'd walk. They don't know this stubborn woman very well.

My current cycle, the migraines won't let me sleep, so I'm exhausted, and then the fluorescents at work and the lack of sleep snowball the next migraine. I've gotten so good at it that I can inject my immitrex at my desk without anybody knowing. And they keep telling me exercise would help with the back pain, but I hurt too much to want to bother, so I'm in the hell loop too

Migraine Chick said...

I can't believe the neuro's office did that to you with the botox. They should have been straight up about the cost. I had no idea it was that expensive. And then you'd have to pay that everything three months. Wow! I hate these hell cycles we get caught in. They never seem to stop sometimes. Sending hugs!

Migraine Chick said...

Hope you are doing ok? Just wanted to check in and see how things were going? Sending hugs!

migraineur said...

I'm so sorry, I swear I posted about 2 weeks ago, but I guess my phone ate it. I'm hanging in there. I'm in a better place mentally than I was right after the whole botox debacle, and the migraines hadn't been so severe (until today), but they aren't going away anytime quickly. Just trying to hang in, like always.