Wednesday, June 20, 2012

My Migraine Pain....

I was recently interviewed by an online magazine for Migraine Awareness Month, but alas, I was edited out of the article, so I decided to post what I wrote here since I put so much effort into my answers. It's so hard for me to write things with my migraines that I didn't want it to go to waste.

"My migraine pain is an intense pounding headache, and bright lights or loud noises seem to make it hurt more. I frequently have aura, where I see squiggle lines in my vision. Plus there are other things like blurred vision, stiff neck, loss of concentration, etc....My first migraine was terrifying because I had no idea how much my head could hurt. My migraines started when I began going through early perimenopause.

I've tried most of the medicines associated with migraines, but none of it has really helped. I've also tried acupuncture, massage, Botox, and herbal remedies. Recently, I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and my doctors seem to think that is causing my migraines, so they are trying a cpap machine with mixed results. The silliest thing I've done is stand with my head in the freezer because cold seems to make my head feel better.

I think that I've learned to take better care of my overall health because of my migraines. Pain makes you more present in your life. Instead of being depressed about the things I can't do, I've learned to explore the things that I can do. Like I had to give up chocolate because it was a migraine trigger for me. I loved chocolate dearly, but then I have discovered so many other wonderful treats that I would have never tried, if I were still eating just chocolate.

Before my migraines, I used to write fiction, but the constant pain chased that type of expression out of my head with all the varied symptoms. I was still looking for a way to express myself creatively when I found collage which led to doodling which led to learning how to draw. For some reason, when I draw, the pain seems backs off. I think it accesses some other part of the brain. So without my migraines, I would have never learned this love of trying to make art.

Dealing with headaches and migraines in the workplace at any age can be challenging. My own tips include always keeping my medication close by, keeping a list of affirmations in my drawer, using breaks to listen to meditation or guided imagery on my IPod, and drinking chamomile tea to stay calm. I always tell myself that "I do what I can and no more than that, each and every day."

8 comments:

Sue said...

"I do what I can and no more than that, each and every day."

Words to live by. Thank you for this important reminder!

Migraine Chick said...

I was just repeating this yesterday like crazy...I do what I can....

migraine ophtalmique said...

I've suffered from migraine ophtalmique almost every day for over 13 years. At some point, I've taken five medications a day to feel a little better. Since I went to the doc who gave me Botox, my migraine almost disappeared. Thanks for that great blog!

Candy Rowe said...

It's a good thing that you've taken the initiative to discipline yourself. That's a good start to counter the pain of migraine. Also, aside from your medications, you must always set time for yourself. It's nice to work twice as hard, but you should always remember that you need to get enough sleep to keep on being productive.

Hugh Fernandez said...

“The silliest thing I've done is stand with my head in the freezer because cold seems to make my head feel better.”--- Haha! Well, some people really do something like this just to ease migraine. I remember the time when I was dealing with migraine as well, and I couldn’t really concentrate on much of anything at work. Now, I learned how to handle it. Candy is right. It’s important that you give yourself a break. Don’t think too much and don’t get too stressed. To prevent migraine, make sure that you give your mind and body enough rest.

burunestetigi said...

This is nice and informative post, Thanks to postburun estetigi

Sienna Christie said...

I have to agree with Hugh. You have to make sure that you take regular breaks from work. You are given some time to take a break, so might as well use this moment to rest and free your mind from all the stress that your work is giving you.

Arthur Lee said...

“The silliest thing I've done is stand with my head in the freezer because cold seems to make my head feel better.” Somehow this made me laugh, it is silly but we have our own ways in dealing with migraine. Most of the time, we do not know why we have migraine or how we get them, it is like an invisible disease, very painful, can really ruin our day. Simple medicine could not help ease the pain, it could make us more stress and may lead to depression. We are lucky nowadays that there are many methods and ways when dealing with migraine, all we need to do is to consult a trusted expert and not to forget have a healthy life.