Tuesday, April 3, 2012

what's new

So my doctors think that they have finally figured out why I have chronic daily migraine. I’ve been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, which is a sleep disorder where I have abnormal pauses in my breathing during the night. I think that explains all the fatigue, loss of concentration, etc…that I thought was going along with my migraines. They’ve given me one of those cpap machines, where it helps you breathe during the night, but my chronic sinus issues are making it difficult to use.

Next I went to see an ear, nose, throat doctor who says I have a deviated septum along with my jaw being too far back, plus some other issues in that general area. Basically I have all the things that can give you sleep apnea. Right now he's trying to clear up the sinus thing, but it's not going well.

I do feel better that the docs are finally figuring out what is wrong with me, but none of them have an easy solution. I still can’t break the cycle of these migraines. I might have a good half of a day followed by really bad pain flair up. I don’t know if my brain is just permanently confused about being in pain all the time.

10 comments:

migrainer said...

I don't know which style mask you have but a full face mask (covers the nose and mouth) maybe more comfortable than a nasal mask if you've got ongoing sinus issues and a deviated septum. CPAP really has helped my migraines, I hope it helps you too.

Migraine Chick said...

I've got both kinds of masks now, the nasal and the full face, but I keep pulling off the full face during the night in my sleep.

migrainer said...

I did that at first too, just keep with it, once I adjusted things were fine. I've never slept so well in my life.

migrainer said...

Sorry, I meant keep with the CPAP in general, if the nasal mask is the most comfy, use it, if not, then use the full face mask.

Julie said...

GREAT website. Migraineurs are typically very smart and creative and you fit the bill. I suffer from migraine-associated vertigo. I was in bed for over a year. Did the doc-go-round and med-go-round, the diet, you name it. It took me a long time to get my life back, but i did. Please go see my blog because you CAN get rid of this illness. www.stoprocking.com

Mrs C said...

I have had migraines since 2nd grade. Thats 25+ yrs
I found no relief with modern 'western' medicine for my migraines.

My relief was all found through vitamins, balancing my hormones and use of specific essential oils. I got this assistance from a homeopathic MD and personal research.

I would recommend you explore those avenues in addition to regular medicine if possible.

Good luck!!!

mike said...

this blog is very helpful for migrane. if you have severe headaches keep watch this blog
migraine relief

mike said...

this blog is very helpful for migrane. if you have severe headaches keep watch this blog
migraine relief

cpapmachine.supplies said...

The most basic function of CPAP machine is to provide treatment to the patients who are suffering from the disease of sleep apnea. It is also used to give artificial respiration to people who are in their most critical situations in the hospitals or to babies who are just born and have problem in breathing.

Jasmine said...

After my OSA diagnosis I hoped using a CPAP daily would diminish my migraines. Unfortunately it did not, but it greatly increased the amount of daily energy I felt, as well as sense of well-being; I wasn't as depressed or foggy, and I believe getting more restful sleep helped me shed some pounds.