Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Botox Follow Up

I saw my neurologist for my follow up appointment with the Botox shots. I'm still not having any results from it, and he said that I maybe a "non-responder," but he would like to try again in two months with another series of shots. This time with more units of Botox and more locations. If that doesn't help, he said he would not continue with the shots and we would try something else.

As for the side effects that I've been having with stiff neck and sore shoulders, he said they were typical side effects and I can use heat and massage now to try to get some relief.

I'm not sure if I'm going to get the next series of shots. With the cost and the discomfort and no relief from my migraines, I'm not sure if it will be worth it, but then again what if the next series of shots help. I'm going to have to give this a long think in my noodle.

6 comments:

deborah said...

it didn't work when I had it either

Anonymous said...

It worked (and continues to work) for me. I also had to adjust the dosage and number of sites. I think trying it twice is not excessive, and if it helps...

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a magic eight ball for you and something to make your shoulders, neck and aching head better. Shazam. C

Myth said...

I had the same result when I tried it, so my neuro said not to bother trying again as it would be the same result. However, it did have a rather unpleasant affect on my migraine pattern, as the pain radiated through my temples and into my neck. That alone made it not something I would do again.

I had really wished that one had worked... migraine free for months? Count me in. Stab needles into my head so that I have complete numbness in my forehead, but no migraines for months! Totally there.

Migraine Chick said...

Thank you for your comments, and thank you Myth for sharing your story. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do.

Scott said...

I’m a big time migrainer. I have had everything done that I can think of. I get them about every day. The triptans help get rid of them but due to insure. I only get 4 pills a month so I have to juggle around Imatrex, Zomeg, and Rolpex. Just to try to keep it under control so I can function. I have seen 5 or 6 different nurologest.I had the Botox done about 7or8 times. I found a Dr.close by in Beachwood Ohio. His name is Dr. Guyron. He is a plastic surgeon. He was doing a study on this. He has you do a migraine chart for a month to find your trigger points. Then he shoots Botox in them. If this stops or lessens them he will go in and remove the muscle and the nerve endings to stop the trigger point from acting up. I have friend that this was a miracle surgery for them. Of course I have to be his problem child. I have gone through 4 surges but the first one was during the study stage and I was lucky 10% that got the placebo surgery. But now we think we have all the trigger point located. I have an appointed July 7. We will go over my options and if my insure. Co. will cover it again we will go after the last nerve trigger point by my right eye. I will keep you pasted. If anyone has some better treatments I would love to know them. You can email me @
medicwells374@yahoo.com.
Scott