Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Insomnia Blues

I had the worst insomnia blues last night. I had stayed home from work with a bad migraine. It was a "fire in the hole" type day. I went through several bags of ice and I was considering giving myself a Pedro haircut from Napoleon Dynamite to see if that might help. (Thank you to my Twitter friends for their support)

At bed time around 10 p.m., I actually feel asleep for an hour, but then my pain woke me back up. It would not let me get back to sleep. In addition, my ears were ringing quite bad, like a dozen crickets singing in my ears. Not only was my brain hurting, but it was giving me weird sensations as well, like snakes moving in my skull.

I tried every trick in my "get to sleep" book, like Tylenol PM, warm milk, chamomile tea, counting sheep, and trying to only concentrate on my breathing. I ended up watching tv all night with my cat staring at me like "what the hell are you doing up" expression on his face. Finally, I got another hour of sleep around 6 a.m.

Does anyone have any other tricks to get to sleep when you're dealing with this type of pain?

4 comments:

Jeanette said...

I am so sorry you had such a bad day and worse night. Personally when I have a migraine like that at night and can't sleep I just have to stay awake. I try to relax, take a hot shower or bath....if I can't sleep nothing is really going to make me fall asleep. Not the answer you want I am sure but like I say, I am NOT going to let these migraines take over my life and that includes in the middle of the night. So I deal with it, stay awake and just try to be in the moment. Hope today is better.

-Julie said...

Ugh, so sorry you had a bad night. I usually take my anti-queezy medicine bc it makes me SO tired. I can't take it very late though or I'll sleep well into the next day. The only other thing I can do is cover my eyes with an ice pack and listen to the tv to concentrate on something other than the pain. Maybe some books on tape would help? I haven't tried it yet, but I've been meaning to.

K. Tree said...

I'm with Jeannette. I don't try to sleep, I just get as comfortable as I can and wait it out. I know that in a couple days I'll be able to sleep normally again, so I try not to sweat it.

Migraine Chick said...

I never thought about just riding out being awake, but it makes a lot of sense and a lot less stress.