Sunday, January 11, 2009

Migraine Not Listed!

I went to the Ann Arbor Reuse Center the other day to look for collage materials. This place is awesome with "with more than 20,000 square feet of retail space, accepts donations of reusable household goods, office supplies, and building materials that it resells to the general public at affordable prices."

For my collage making, I found some old valentine day cards, music sheets and a deck of old maid cards. Also, I found an elementary dictionary from 1986. It's called Webster's Elementary Dictionary and its described as "a brand-new dictionary designed for children in the elementary grades." I really liked it cause the text was big and there were lots of pictures that I could cut out for collages.

Guess what I discovered when I got it home. It didn't even have Migraine listed in the book and under headache it only says "pain in the head" and "something that annoys or confuses." I don't know why the lack of the migraine definition bothers me, but don't elementary kids get migraines, too??

Here is a picture of the headache definition.




I do quite like the picture of the headdress. It looks like how my migraines feel sometimes with pressure stacked upon my head.

3 comments:

Paula said...

From what I've read, yes, children can get migraines, but usually unset is in the 20s and 30s.

I think that picture does illustrate a migraine nicely. She doesn't seem to be pleased with the headdress, and almost has a "oh this thing again" look on her face.

It's cool that you search out such neat places to find things to use in your collages.

Debor said...

Remember, the dictionary is over 20 yrs. old. That was pretty much the definition for adults then, too.

I generally have at least one student in my class each year with migraine and their moms are always relieved to find out I feel their pain quite literally.

My earliest memory of migraine is of getting off the kindergarten bus and throwing up in the ditch before I could even get up the driveway to my house. I am 49.

Lena said...

I had migraines when I was an elementary kid, and a friend of mine had them too.