Friday, January 9, 2009

Haiku or Senryū??

I learned something about my bad migraine haiku through a friend on Myspace. They might not actually be haiku, but more of a form of Senryū.

"Senryū (literally 'river willow') is a Japanese form of short poetry similar to haiku in construction: three lines with 17 or fewer "on" (not syllables) in total. However, senryū tend to be about human foibles while haiku tend to be about nature, and senryū are often cynical or darkly humorous while haiku are more serious."

But then I was reading further into the Wikipedia definintion and I became even more confused because it said "any genuinely personal experience would be haiku and not senryū in the classic sense."

My poems are all about personal experience. Trying to figure this out was making my head hurt worse, so I just gave up. They are what they are. Bad poems about migraines.

Here are some new ones:


Leaving my work sick
I push through air to my car
Pain jet streams follow

Banish the hormones
Then will migraines retire
Who in the hell knows

After the pain wanes
Picking up fragments of life
Shell shocked battleground

Skull might be worth more
If covered in rare diamonds
And sold off as art

As I child I thought
That only true pain lasted
As long as a scab

My poor tattered brain
I used to write love stories
Now it’s bad haikus

Looking for my mind
Pain has made it a stranger
Where did it go?

Would my head hurt less
If I was a Barbie doll
Nothing but plastic

1 comment:

Sharoni said...

You're really very creative : )