Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Beating The Winter Blues

I think this is the most snow we have gotten in Michigan in a long time, and it’s doing my head in. Every time a snowstorm comes through the area or the temperature drops, etc… my migraines go whacky.

Not to mention, the snow started early this year in November. Usually, we are wondering if we are even going to have a white Christmas or not, and this year, we were already wearing winter coats and gloves before November ended.

I think I’ve transitioned from Holiday Depression into The Winter Blues. I’m trapped in this cycle of winter weather patterns and unstable hormones. In addition, I think hardly ever seeing the sun isn’t helping.

Does anyone have any tips on how to beat The Winter Blues when you’re a migraine chick? I’m trying to come up with a list. A good friend suggested trying to find glimmers of something good each day. Any other ideas?

8 comments:

Emily said...

watching your favorite funny movie (if you can) -- that's what I love!

How to Cope with Pain said...

Sunlight as early in the AM as possible - sit by a window drinking your coffee... an early morning walk outside if it's not too cold.

I know, hard to do if it's overcast or too cold.

Paula said...

I find that talking on the phone with someone I love often helps -- someone who can make me laugh and will listen to me ... often my mom is that person. Or catching up with an old friend. Snaps me out of my current mood or situation and reminds me of other good things in the world.

baldsue said...

Vitamin D is the new magical substance that cures and/or prevents everything.

Leslie said...

I agree that this is the most snow we've had in MI in a while. I'm sick of it already, too!

Jaymi said...

I know some foods can be BIG issues for migraine chicks, but is there something you love, I mean adore to eat? Something that doesn't cause terrible trouble? A favorite comfort food or a delicious, fun dessert that you haven't had in a long time? Sometimes that makes me happy when my brain has decided to kick the crap out of me. :0)

Debor said...

As you well know, what works for me may not do anything for you or could have the opposite effect. Having said that, try a hot bath (not too hot, or after the bath, you'll get hit with a worse headache) to relax you. Put on soft music you love and read something that nourishes your soul, if your head doesn't hurt too much. Or you could just close your eyes and listen to the music. Turn off overhead lights and try a lamp.

I've also gotten rid of headaches while getting my hair done (someone washing my hair relaxes me and soothes my head) and getting a pedicure - the massaging chair, and having someone rub the tension out of my legs was marvelous. I didn't socialize - just closed my eyes and zoned out. I wonder if rubbing my legs or my head increases circulation and that has some impact on the blood flow - who knows. Anyway, I know I also feel better emotionally after taking care of myself for an hour or so no matter the weather or the events in my life at any particular time.

Migraine Chick said...

These are great ideas. I'm going to get some Vit D this weekend, call a good friend on the phone and maybe go to my fav restaurant for some yummy desert!