Saturday, January 24, 2009

Another Migraine Work Saga

At work, they recently decided to send out a daily staffing email, letting everyone in the office know who was out of the office that day, on either paid time off or sick time or a FMLI (family medical intermittent leave) day.

I really felt like this was an invasion of my privacy. I don’t need the entire office knowing that I’m taking an FMLI day. I get enough friction from my immediately co-workers on the topic. Therefore, I wrote my team leader an email about how I felt this is personal business between the company and me, etc...

Well, he wrote me back a huge email about how this wasn’t an invasion of privacy, that only if they gave the details of the FMLI day it would be an invasion of privacy. He felt if everyone is provided this information on a daily basis it would showcase the time available and how it was being utilized, positively and negatively. In addition, he forwarded this email to the big boss in our office.

Not being daunted, I replied to him that if this was the case, why were the names still being used. Couldn’t they simply list four employees out on paid time off and exclude the actual names?

I didn't hear anything back that day.

All this took place on Monday. Then of course, I was out sick with a huge migraine attack from Aunt Martha, who decided to kick my ass for two days in a row.

When I got back to work on Thursday, I found the daily staffing email had changed. Now it just lists names under Paid Time Off and Out Other. Apparently, I had caused a kerfuffle while I was gone, and at least there was a compromise.

10 comments:

Emily said...

I'm glad a compromise was made! It'd be different if you weren't already having trouble with your coworkers; them ribbing you for being out sick and just generally not getting it!

beckiwithani said...

I absolutely agree that it was an invasion of privacy - I was blown away reading this post. How insensitive of them! I'm glad someone near the top finally made a compromise (although I think that the names of those absent from work should just be listed outright, not with any paid / unpaid categorization....)

Good for you for standing up for yourself!

baldsue said...

I agree, I think it's an invasion of privacy. Good for you speaking up! I can see a letter going into my personnel file if I did something like that at the liberal, progressive, women's college I work at. Oh, wait, that already happened to me.

Jasmine said...

Great to hear it was changed thanks to you - and so quickly :)

Paula said...

I'm glad that you stood up for what is right. I think its invasive, and that its no one's business why anyone is out. I tell my own teams when I'm out, but it's my choice to tell more people than my boss or my department.

Anonymous said...

Dear Pain Chick,

I am utterly shocked. I would think that FMLI is a contract between you and your employer and not to be shared with all of the employees. It is really disgraceful that they would publicly announce your use of it. I would imagine this is illegal. I am glad they backed off. I am sorry you have had to go through this with them. They have people's private records, it's seems completely ridiculous to want to publish them for everyone to see. This is a huge step back. I am sorry you have to work in this hostile environment. Carolyn

Debor said...

That was totally inappropriate. And you called them on it. If they were really worried about time and resource management, they would have listed how MANY people were out, not WHO was out.

Migraine Chick said...

I'm so glad so many other people feel the same way I did. It makes me feel so much better!

Eileen said...

Rock on! I am so proud of you for standing up for yourself, and maybe even others in your office. It IS an invasion of your privacy - names or not!

PrincessSteph said...

Good on you. that is so totally inappropriate! i am shocked. I am so proud of you!!!!