Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Battling Holiday Depression

I know I've been nattering on about Holiday Depression for weeks, but the dreaded monster will not go away, just like my freaking migraines. Here is a list of things I've done and not done so far with the holidays. It's become a balancing act. Also, I've really been trying to do the "one day at a time" type thinking when I feel overwhelmed.

I put up a small fake tabletop Christmas Tree instead of a real one.

I did manage to get my Christmas cards addressed and mailed in a timely fashion.

I skipped the Christmas reception in the lobby of my work building thrown by the building's management company. It was after work and I was too knackered to deal with it.

I did all my holiday shopping online.

I'm deliberately not listening to Christmas music in my car.

I only brought potato chips to my work's Christmas potluck.

I'm still not sure about baking Christmas cookies this year.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, you are being to hard on yourself. To date I have put up a christmas tree with the help of my husband. No cards, and I've only shopped for my husband on one day. I've done those two things. I too, would not have gone to a party after work, especially if I wasn't feeling well. I additionally opted out of a dinner invitation this past weekend because of a migraine. I think it is ok to bring pre-made food if you have chronic illness. Please, try not to add guilt to your plate. There is always pre-packaged cookie dough if your want to bake cookies, to make it easier for you. Or, you could bake the cookies if you have days off. I too feel that the holidays are a balancing act. I am lucky b/c I am not buying gifts for the adults in my family and asking my hubby to buy the gifts for the 2 kids (it's too overwhelming for me). And I picked up boxes from the liquor store to put his gifts in. That's my idea of wrapping. And I'm ok with it. I picked different color ones. My holiday wish for you is that you have a good holiday. That you find relief from the dreads and the depression. Sincerely, Carolyn

Migraine Chick said...

Carolyn, thank you for the advice. The boxes are a great idea and so are the pre-packaged cookie doughs!

Emily said...

i hope you get to feeling better about the holidays -- it seems like one of the times that those of us w/chronic pain really have to be keep tabs on our expectations.

i think that i often expect that i should be able to participate in so many more things than usual, because they're traditions. because how can it be Christmas without baking? without making small gifts for the neighbors? without parties?

and in the end, it's hard to remember the limitations i usually have. but my headaches are quick to remind me. i still have to take care of myself...

i don't know what's causing your depression this holiday season; there are almost numberless possibilities. i just know that *I* get more depressed when i'm trying to do more than i really can.

good luck!

Tor Hershman said...

Holiday depression?

Here’s that regrettably hilarious classic XXX Xmas parody song
THE LITTLE BUMMER BOY
listen and/or download for free

http://www.soundlift.com/band/music.php?song_id=82930


Stay on groovin' safari,
Tor