Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Stinky Coat Situation

I don't know if anyone remembers the girl with the massive hygiene problem at my work. She was the one who made me nauseous in a meeting because I had to sit beside her. Well since I've moved my desk across the room, I'm sharing a coat closet with her.

Plus, there is another issue with the closet. There is a middle aged hippy man who has a smelly situation, too. He smells like body odor, cigarettes and that Patchouli stuff. If I'm ever in the elevator with him, I have to hold my breath. He keeps his coat in the closet as well.

This may sound childish, but I really don't want my coat next to their coats in the closet. With my senstivity to smells due to my migraines, I want to avoid potential problems. I've tried to figure out if they keep their coats in the same spots, but I can't do it without obviously watching them (the coat closet is behind me.) I don't need hippy man thinking I have a crush on him.

So far, I've been stashing my coat under my desk. No one has noticed, but I'm waiting for a supervisor to say something, and I don't want to go through another big deal, like when I had to get permission to wear my visor due to the bright lights.

9 comments:

bgwh said...

I never surrender any of my clothing to 'group hangs' for exactly the reason of your post. Plus, last time I did participate in a group hang, years ago, I was robbed!
I sure hope you can keep stashing your coat under your desk.

Drake said...

Heh...

Back in the day, when they were trying to get this whole "Black Empowerment" deal started, to "make up" for apartheid, you were not allowed to say anything, as the race card would be thrown at you...

I am no racist mind you, just stating facts here ;D

For some reason, some of these "differing colored humans", have a nasty smell about them...like they don't wash or just did the #2 in their pants.

You would have to sit next to them, gagging all the way to 5 o clock and would not be allowed to say a word about it but if you did something that would offend them, man were you in trouble...

Sharoni said...

that is ridiculous that something would be said about you stashing your coat under your desk.. I mean unless you have another person working under your desk and the coat is on top of them.. silliness

Spud31 said...

You just seem to work in the worst possible situation for a migraneur. I really feel for you.

rachel said...

work smell issues are so difficult! i have several women at work who bathe in perfume and/or hairspray, luckily i don't sit too near any of them, but when i have a meeting with them i know i'm in for a migraine. i mentioned it to my boss but he didn't do anything and -even worse- seemed to mentally roll his eyes at me. so i gave up. it is so stressful for me when i have a meeting with them and also have plans after work- it makes me angry that their chemicals will ruin my social life.

Anonymous said...

Too bad we couldn't hire Daniel Craig to take out your troublesome co-workers and supervisors. It would be so enjoyable to watch. Heck, I'd even enter your evil work place to see it live. Carolyn

Jasmine said...

Ugh, I really feel for you. Hopefully no one will notice ;)

deborah said...

that totally sucks. so you have to just put up with all of this??? I don't think so, that's crap!!! I think it's high time you go to someone high in personnel and let them know you have sensitivity to chemicals and they trigger freaking migraines!! What is wrong with people??? (not you, them!) So he smokes, and you have to hang your non-smoking coat next to a concealed box all day? no freaking way. I think it's time to ask for your own non-smoking space. Why not. What, with all of the non-smokers rights out there now, what can tehy say? Seriously, you don't medically need to deal with it.

I just love trying to walk into a building and have to bury my nose in my shirt or coat because someone is downing their butt, right. outside. the entrance. door!!!!! Butt-sucker. yeah, it happened today. And I get the dirty look. go figure.

I'm sorry for blasting my attitude here. it makes me crazy what you put up with at work!

Dana said...

I feel your pain. I am totally phobic of bad smells. Do you hold your breath when you have to walk past messy/dirty people for fear that they stink? I find myself doing that a lot in public places, like Wal-Mart (which is a migraine-inducing place anyway).