Sunday, November 16, 2008

Pre-Holiday Dread and Migraines

I know this is going to come across like a Scrooge, but I think I have the worst case of PHD (Pre-Holiday Dread) that I’ve ever experienced. I know last year I was dreading the holidays because of my migraines (Christmas Klutz), but this year, I can’t even take looking at the Christmas stuff yet. There are neighbors on my street who already have their Christmas lights on! Even the sale flyers from the local drug stores are filled with stuff on sale for Christmas. Radio stations are playing 24 hours of holiday music and it isn’t even Turkey Day. A friend has already completed all her Christmas shopping!

I usually love the holidays, but just the thought of dealing with my migraines and family events, including the guilt of canceling or going with a bad flair up of pain and looking like a misery guts the whole time, makes me groan. Then there is the stress of Christmas shopping, getting a tree and decorating it, putting lights on the house and making cookies. It all seems too monumental.

Is anyone else feeling like this? Am I the only one afflicted with PHD??

11 comments:

desikitteh said...

definitely not just you.

Emily said...

completely. i like to make lists, and work on the 'mandatory' things first - getting those presents i really feel i need to buy. from there, i have lots of things to do if i feel up to it, but i try not to pressure myself to get it all done. it's just not feasible with a migraine!

Jasmine said...

I definitely used to suffer from PHD. For the past few years we haven't gotten a tree - I feel less guilty about watching it die and then throwing it away. I do miss the smell though.

I just stick to buying Christmas cards. And the only gifts we purchase - when we can afford it - are gift certificates or donations to charities in a family member's name.

Because my mom, bro and I are far from the rest of our family - same with the hubby's family - we have a tradition of going to a Chinese restaurant (we love the movie "A Christmas Story" haha), so there's no preparation or clean-up to worry about.

MaxJerz said...

I'm completely dreading the holidays this year - a combination of recently losing my job (no money for presents) and this is the first year DBF and I are spending the holidays together. I'm anxious about Christmas at his family's because I don't have any control over what food is served, and I have an incredibly strict diet because of my Migraines and IBS.

So no, you're definitely not the only one.

bgwh said...

Nope. You're not alone.

Diane J Standiford said...

My partner in same pain boat.

jungle said...

You're certainly not alone which is why I'm skipping the family holidays and picked up extra shifts at work (I'm a veterinary technician and will be working the emergency holiday shifts). To me at least work helps me deal with my headaches, possibly has something to do with the adrenaline rush of emergency work; but when I have patients to focus on I can push the pain back.

Megan Oltman said...

I'm with you! I have finally given in to the inevitable and told my family I can't host a huge shindig with 18 people in the house - after 4 years of trying, every time I end up in bed with major Migraines while the festivities go on. So I don't know what the holidays will look like. Not much money to play with either.

Geri said...

There is something new on the horizon for migraine sufferers, if you're interested read http://www.newrinkles.com/index.php/archive/zap-away-migraines/

Geri said...

Migraines can kill any holiday cheer. There are some new things on the horizon and one is the transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS). If you're interested you can read about it at http://www.newrinkles.com/index.php/archive/zap-away-migraines/. Happy Holidays!

Susan said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://www.car-insurance-choices.com