Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Driven to Distraction



I was just reading a really good article on ChronicPainConnection. com about how Distraction is the most powerful pain reliever. The article is called The Most Powerful Pain Reliever Revealed.

Since I've been working on my collages, I've noticed how with the distraction theory works. While I'm slicing and dicing magazines, my pain does seem to back off. It's like this action occupies a different part of my brain. I'm not really thinking verbally, but more visually. I used to find surfing Flickr for photographs had the same effect, but when I stop, the pain comes thudding back.

The problem is that I cannot keep the distraction up all day and night. What about when I go to bed? As I'm trying to go to sleep, all I can focus on is the screaming inside my head.

I think Distraction is a good tool for trying to manage your pain, but I don't think it's the final solution.

5 comments:

bgwh said...

I'm with you distraction's great but not a cure.

Jasmine said...

Distraction works at times for me, but pain has an uncanny way of catching up with me at the end of the day.

Debbie said...

Distraction works for me. I notice pain is less during the day when I am busy and worse at bedtime.

Megan Oltman said...

I think distraction allows us to detach and be outside the pain - I try to use relaxation breathing to do that for sleep - sometimes it works!

Ellen Schnakenberg said...

My family knows when I get to the 'scalding-hot-shower phase' that it's bad. That's my last-resort distraction when all else has failed. For me, distraction works for short periods, and with practice, longer. When it's bad, my ability to go beyond what I'm physically feeling seems limited tho. Then it takes immense concentration and always breaks thru, even if for short periods. I'm often reminded of active labor and the breathing exercises that didn't work for me. I found my own pace and focus and did better. Migraine is different because you don't get those short breaks between contractions.

I wasn't crazy about the article tho. Working with life-threatening emergencies used to be my job. The writer really seemed to be referencing the power of adrenaline, not so much distraction it seemed. There is really a difference.

Off to listening to a distracting movie.... the display of bright lights on my computer screen tell me an aura just hit me... ugh.

Ellen Schnakenberg
visit my WEGO Health blog