Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Previous Lives of a Migraineur

I think some people in a certain amount of chronic pain start to wonder at some point what they did in a previous life to deserve this. I know I do. Although, I don’t believe in reincarnation as a rule, I find myself with these questions as well. Here are some of my thoughts about my possible previous lives, which could have brought this level of anguish to my current life.

I was a crazed 1950’s beautician. I wound socialite’s curlers way too tight and I tortured housewive's heads with perms from hell.

Perhaps, I was a young widow in the old west and I ended up squandering my late husband’s money on laudanum for my blinding headaches, thus leaving me destitute and turning me into a pickpocket, stealing good people’s money to survive.

I was a tattooed woman in a sideshow carnival, and I shaved my head so I could have it tattooed with horrifying sea creatures. Then small children snuck into the tent to see me and it scared them for life.

Maybe I was a clumsy stewardess who cracked too many people in the head with the overhead bin doors during transatlantic flights on Pan Am.

So if you're suffering from chronic pain, who do you think you could have possibly been in a former life to be tortured like this in the here and now?

7 comments:

baldsue said...

Previous life: neurosurgeon.

catmum said...

probably worked in the Tower of London, 16th or 17th century. Torture was the norm and torturers had job security. pretty sure I was there. I'm paying for it now

rachel said...

too funny! i choose to think of it in terms of future karma. b/c i'm in so much pain in this life, my NEXT one's going to be amazing. :-)

Leslie said...

This is interesting. I'm still thinking about it...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! I guesss my thing is that I don't wish these illnesses on any of my frieds and I wish there was a way for them to pseudo-experience it... But then, I guess in perfect world none of us would be sick.

Jaymi said...

Maybe I was an executioner? OFF WITH HER HEAD!!! Or, how about one of the jungle natives that pierces all parts of their face and forehead and puts those 20 pound earrings in their ears? That would do it!

Christy said...

In my previous life I didn't have any headaches and if I met someone with a migraine I said "It's just a headache. What's your problem?"

Migraine Chick said...

These are all so creative!