Thursday, July 17, 2008

Migraine Monster Vacation Report

I’ve made it back alive from the great upper peninsula of Michigan with mixed reports on the migraine monster sightings. I was doing pretty good for my first couple of days in Mackinac City and Mackinac Island with low to moderate migraine pain. The weather was great at 68 degrees. On the island, people were even wearing jeans and hoodies, so the heat definitely wasn’t an issue. I still followed my migraine plan, making sure I drank plenty of water, wore my floppy hat, took plenty of breaks, etc...

The next day we went drove further north to see Tahquamenon Falls. It was warmer outside with more sunshine. The walk to the falls from the parking lot was only a quarter of a mile, so that wasn’t a big deal. The big deal turned out to be the 91 steps down to the viewing platform. I was feeling pretty confident after beating the migraine monster in Mackinac so I did the stairs. Big mistake. My head started pounding like crazy on the way back up. At the top, I was sure I was going to drop so I took a break with my remaining luke warm water before we went to see the lower gorge.

After the lower gorge, which was beautiful, there was a sign that said nature trail back to the parking lot or we could go back the way we came. Stupid me thought the nature trail would be the shorter way. Bigger mistake! It was an uneven, winding trail. My head was hurting so bad that I was lumbering along like the living dead the entire way. I was pretty sure my friends were going to have to leave me. I wondered what would get me first, the coyotes or the termites. Just like in the movie The Evil Dead, the evil monster got me in the woods!

Eventually, we made it back to the parking lot. Thank goodness, there was a brew house restaurant. I sucked down three glasses of cold water during lunch. My bad migraine never did back off that day after those stairs and the nature trail from hell.

So I guess it might be true that migraine monsters can’t follow you to islands, but they sure can attack you in the woods.

2 comments:

Diana Lee said...

Welcome back! Sounds like a good trip overall, despite the beastie hunting you down in the woods.

Mckay K said...

The recounting of your vacation was so vivid. I thought I was reading a short story.

Sorry your monster got you. However, happy it allowed you to write such this interesting blog!