Thursday, July 10, 2008

Change of Plans

There used to be a time when I thought nothing of jaunting around the U.K. and Europe on my own for two weeks at a time, when I was in my early twenties, but I didn’t have migraines back then.

Now I’m facing my trip to the west side of Michigan next week, and I found myself dreading trying to deal with Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven and Muskegon, all places I've never been to. Every time I thought about my vacation, I found myself wishing I could just go back up north to Mackinaw. It so peaceful and quiet, and I know where everything is. All I want to do is sit on the hotel balcony facing the beach with some fudge and a magazine and chill out.

Therefore, like a big chicken shit, I bailed on my west side of Michigan trip and I booked a hotel for Mackinaw again.

I am disappointed in myself. Vacations used to mean challenge, exploration and brand new adventures. This may not seem like a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it represents how much migraines are changing my life. Now I’m just longing for the familiar because I’m so stressed out about living everyday life with chronic pain.

I’m still going to take my migraine plan on my vacation and I know I should be thankful that I’m not canceling this trip all together. Plus, I’m sure there are things in Mackinaw that I haven’t seen yet. I just miss the girl who thought nothing of taking off to Brussels without even a hotel booked.

8 comments:

Greg Katz said...

First of all, congrats on taking a vacation. It will definitely help with stress. Your return to the familiar can be different if you take the Buddhist view of going on vacation with a "Beginner's Mind". Look for things you haven't seen before. Look for the new, even in places you've seen a hundred times. Give yourself the opportunity to experience it with different sense...be aware of sounds or smells you didn't notice before.

Have a great trip!

How to Cope with Pain said...

I was just today working on a presentation for a pain conference next Fall - and one of the topics is altering usual activities or changing activities, to be able to continue to do things.

How about trying new experiences while on your vacation - new restaurants, cool drinks, or even eating breakfast for dinner and dinner for breakfast.

And when you get home, how about getting a cookbook of European food - 2nd best to being there??

rain gem said...

Eh, no worries about it. At least you are getting a vacation and going somewhere. I haven't had one in decades, literally. So, have fun.

As for Brussels, put some ads on your blog and m/b next year :P .

Eileen said...

First of all - I'm jealous that you have time off to go on vacation!!

Get some rest girl! No harm in going back to old stomping grounds. I would much rather go somewhere that was predictable then have to be worried about the Migraine Monster.

Have a wonderful time!!!!! You deserve it!!!

Lena said...

So, I'm so lucky I always got migraine, so that I have never been scared of holidays!!
Unfortunately, every migraine attack is always more weakenning and I begin to feel tired of this kind of life.

Migraine Chick said...

Thank you for the suggestions, especially "The Beginner's Mind" and altering usual experiences. I'm going to try it.

You are all such great friends!

Megan Oltman said...

Chickie - Greg really said it - love that Beginner's Mind thing! I once took on doing a new thing (never done before by me) every week for a year - didn't quite manage it but I did some really cool things - some of them were incredibly little and silly like switching sides of the bed with my DH - another was I built a fieldstone wall. Anyhoo - maybe find a creative way to do a never-done-before every day on vacation. And enjoy - Mackinaw sounds heavenly to me!
- Megan

bion said...

Hi, my name is bion.

Have you heard of Bio Disc before?

It can help you to improve your body immune system and gradually improve your migraine condition.

Read more: migrainesolution.net63.net
best view with Mozilla Firefox