Thursday, June 5, 2008

Part Two-The Baseball Hat Saga

While I was waiting to hear back from the HR lady about The Baseball Hat Saga, I was getting more and more irked about the fact that I've seen my company purchase ergonomic keyboards for people with carpal tunnel and I saw a large chair special ordered for an extremely obese co-worker, but meanwhile they were hassling me about wearing a free baseball hat to keep the fluorescent light glare out of my eyes.

I decided to go on my company's website and do some digging around to see what I could find to strengthen my argument about how they can accommodate these people, but not me. That was where I found an ergonomics program, where there was a section on "monitor and mouse settings and adjustments” with a list of ways to reduce glare problems with your monitor. To my surprise, one suggestion was to "Wear a visor to keep the light out of your eyes. It can be an effective way to reduce eyestrain and headaches."

Holy cow! Since my new visor has been working great for me, I immediately printed the page and I gave it to my team leader who said "great news." Then I finally got in touch with the HR Lady who said she was glad that I had found something that worked for me and she hadn't been aware of the reducing glare section in the ergonomics program. Therefore, the whole ADA claim thing has been dropped and it seems like it's approved for me to wear the visor for now.

I'm truly relieved about all this, and a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders, but there is still one thing that bugs me. Why did I have to find this information on my own? I'm really starting to learn that being your own advocate is the only way to protect yourself.

9 comments:

baldsue said...

Yes! Good for you. But isn't it awful that we have to find documentation and such to justify our ability to remain productive in the workplace? Being my own advocate can be rewarding sometimes but is always tiring.

spud31 said...

Congratulations. I'm glad that whole mess is over with. I know that being your own advocate is exhausting, but at least it worked out this time.

Diana Lee said...

What a relief! I'm so glad you were able to find a solid, slam dunk argument for using the hat.

Heather said...

That is wrong....so totally wrong, but I am finding that, too. We have to do our own research, check out our own medicines, etc.
I am so relieved about the hat, though.

rain gem said...

Well, that's good. On the other hand, there could be a case made for an incompetence and harassment. How much do you actually like your company?

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Thank you for this valuable *wear baseball hat* to reduce monitor glare tip!!! I have astigmatism and the monitor drives me crazy.

A person does end up having to explore how to fix problems on their own, but then someone special like you comes along and spreads the word. :D

Hugs, JJ

Anonymous said...

What a shame that the burden to wear a stupid hat is on you. It's so annoying it's sickening.

Glad you found the info you needed. I wish you could say something brilliant like "Na Na Na Poo Poo" to your supervisor ;)

Connie said...

What a shame that the burden to wear a stupid hat is on you. It's so annoying it's sickening.

Glad you found the info you needed. I wish you could say something brilliant like "Na Na Na Poo Poo" to your supervisor ;)

Migraine Chick said...

I wish I could say that to my supervisor, too!