Tuesday, April 22, 2008

High School Migraine Part Two

What would a high school migraine musical be without a sequel? I just didn't think it would be this soon. The last one was barely out of the box office.

Last week, I made it into work every single day without missing any time, and when I showed up for work Friday morning, I was quite proud of myself. Just as I was walking to my desk though, another female co-worker made sarcastic comment about me.

"Wow," she said, super loud. "I can't believe you've been here everyday this week!"

Everyone turned and stared at me. This time I wasn't in brain fog land. Some words just popped out of my mouth.

"I know," I said. "It's a miracle."

I sat down and turned on my computer. Everyone resumed working, but immediately my brain began spinning with guilt and shame as I thought about how bad I already felt about missing so much work, without some of my co-workers counting the days that I'm here or not. And then announcing it to the office, so the people who hadn't noticed were now aware.

I felt myself spiraling into another co-worker induced depression, but then I remembered the lovely comments from my last post about this. So I gave myself a little lecture. "My co-workers come from a clan whose brains never matured past being twelve year-olds. They are not worth ruffling my feathers. I'm not going to let them bother me. Why should I give myself more pain and frustration."

And you know what. It worked. I felt far better during the rest of the day.

Of course, I had to call in sick yesterday because Migraine Squirrel Chuck is having spring fever. Who knows that they are going to say to me today when I show up for work?

7 comments:

spud31 said...

Good for you! Don't let anyone else's negativity get you down, because you need to take care of yourself right now.

Emily said...

how rude! i'm sorry you have to deal with them on top of trying to work with migraines. :/

Anonymous said...

You could post something on your desk from ACHE or Magnum a statistic about the specific number of people afflicted with migraines. To me it's a form of harassment and it's creating a hostile work environment. It's not right. It's not fair. You've got enough on your plate already. I'd like to stomp on their "parade".

deborah said...

good for you!! Oh, I'm sure they'll have something to say when you return, the little teeny boppers. snobs. Don't worry, it will come back to them.

Megan Oltman said...

Maybe you need to strike first. Be flip tomorrow. "miss me?" or "hope you all weren't as miserable here as I was at home," i don't know I'm not very creative tonight... but you could try some pre-emptive humor. Disarm their tiny little minds.

- Megan

MaxJerz said...

As if the migraines aren't bad enough, we have to put up with witchy coworkers, too! Good for you for sticking up for yourself and not letting their guilt trip get to you. High school migraine musical, indeed!

-MJ

Elena said...

I used to feel miserable like you and let other people upset me, but as I grew up I saw how absurd all this situation is, and begun to laugh... laugh when somebody deliberately tries to hurt me, cause he/she isn't all right if he/she's doing it... laugh about how ignorant they are... laught because they're getting ridiculuos... laught because, after all, although the pain, I'm a lucky person, and happier then them. Now, I think someone is hating me for laughing at him/her.. the fact is, I won't be baffled anymore.
Thank you for your blog, it helps me facing the pain...