Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Odor Situation.

Silly me, for thinking I have experienced the full spectrum of migraine inducing odors at work, including nail polish, lilacs and antibacterial sprays.

Apparently, I didn’t consider the final frontier, which is body odor.

I arrived late to a meeting and I was stuck sitting next to a woman who is known for being hygienically challenged. Not having experienced her bad habits myself, I always wanted to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Well, I shouldn’t have doubted what I’d heard. It was bad. My migraine pain level was already on high alert this week. Quickly, I felt as if I was going to be sick to my stomach. Then I verped twice and I had to leave.

As soon as I was out of the conference room, I felt a little better but I still ran to the bathroom to be safe.

After a ten-minute bathroom break, I was feeling much better stomach wise, but there was no way I could go back to the meeting. I felt like I was experiencing the jury duty dilemma with what to do with myself all over again. Why does this shit happen to me?

I ended up going back to my desk.

A half hour later, everyone else came out. My boss gave me a weird look, like where the hell did you go, so I had to go explain, but I was at a loss for words. What was I supposed to say? So and so had massive body odor and it made me sick.

Diplomatically as possible, I went up to him. “I’m sorry I had to leave the meeting, but my head was killing me and I couldn’t handle the odor situation in the room.”

He looked at me for a long moment, and I could see the wheels turning in his brain. Then it registered. He nodded.

“nuff said,” he said.

8 comments:

migraineur said...

Way to be subtle! And I'm glad your boss got it.

nipper said...

Wow! I can't believe your boss was so nice about it! Good for you for being honest, too. Do what you gotta do, right?
Hope you're feeling better today!

Anonymous said...

I have always wondered how a person does not realize that they stink? I don't mean to be rude - but, I just don't get it! How come nobody in their family says something. YUCKY!!

rachel said...

i wish i had the guts to say something about the perfume and air freshener situation at work to my boss! i know he'd just roll his eyes and think i was a freak, though.

until then, i'll go out of my way to avoid certain employees and hang out at my desk with my air purifier...

deborah said...

I'm thinking - good old fashioned surgical mask. yep, that just might be what you need in the meeting. and if someone questions you, or looks at you funny, you just look at them like THEY are the ones with the problem. (remember, you must be thinking that you're really NOT wearing the mask) it is afterall for your protection. screw tham all.

chronic chick said...

Ya the smells can be overwhelming especially when you walk through a perfume cloud at Kmart where the kids just sprayed every aroma in the store and then you cough you way through and Go home with the local migraine.

Stonetree said...

I don't drive and use public transit constantly. I have been known to get off buses and wait 15 minutes for the next one just to avoid smelly people (BO or perfume- you stink!)

Thanks for sharing. :D

Anonymous said...

that woman was you, as you have a large collection of body odor... BIG STINK ONE this shall now be your office name