Thursday, March 6, 2008

Adventures in Jury Duty with a Migraine!

Here is what happens when you’re a migraine chick and you have to deal with jury duty in Detroit with a huge migraine and you are definately not thinking clearly.

I had gotten my jury duty notice a couple months ago. I thought about trying to be excused due to a medical problem, but I heard from a friend that her mom had tried, and they had denied her request.

The other day, I woke up with serious migraine pain, so I took my drugs and managed to eat a Lunar Bar and drink some chamomile tea, before I left at 6:45a.m. It was a harrowing drive to Detroit in the dark. I followed a flammable truck's lights, easier to see, but I kept thinking what if it crashes and I’m blown up with it.

I really pissed off a bunch of drivers in downtown Detroit, because I couldn't see the lanes. I managed to get to the court and I paid $10.00 to park. I checked into jury duty at 7:30 a.m.

In the lounge, the fluorescent lights were killer. My ears were ringing. I was super nauseous and my vision was blurry vision. That big ball of flaming steel wool was back in my head. Everyone around me was so serene, quietly sipping their coffees, reading their newspapers and doing puzzles. Why me? Why was I the one sitting there in utter agony?

By about 8:15 a.m., I had to run to the bathroom to chuck. That was when I decided to see if I could leave. At the counter, the clerk acted very concerned about me and she said I could be excused. It would just be a moment to check me out. I was thinking I could just go home for the rest of the day, under the jury duty excuse from work. (Maybe not the most honest thing to do, but who would know?)

Right at that moment, a co-worker appeared late to check in. What are the odds of that? Crap! We said hello and he heard the clerk finishing telling that me that I was excused for the day.

Back in my car, I just sat there, not knowing what to do. I couldn't say I had been in jury duty all day in case my co-worker told my boss he had seen me leaving. I didn't want to call in sick to work again, because I've been calling in a lot lately.

Therefore, I drove to work, sat in the parking lot, cried for ten minutes, got my shit together and went into work. I lasted two hours before I went home sick.

6 comments:

Megan Oltman said...

How miserable! I have to say I've never been called for jury duty - don't know why and I shouldn't jinx myself. But it's probably one of those situations where you looked so sick they had to take pity on you - I think the people who've seen us over & over are sometimes less concerned than the relative strangers. I used to work as a lawyer and the courts were pretty accommodating in rescheduling when I had a migraine, but not so the law firm I worked for! They had a suck it up and get back to work attitude.

migraineur said...

Oh, bad luck! Everything would've been fine - OK, relatively fine - if not for your coworker.

Connie said...

What are the odds of that happening?

Did you consider a doctor's note stating that you can't do jury duty? What if you got as bad as you did while waiting and you were on the jury?

I always wanted to do jury duty. I got called for the first time after getting sick. I'd never be able to do it now unfortunately.

Migraine Chick said...

That's a good idea about the doctor's note. Maybe I should have got one to excuse me if I got sick during the actual jury duty.

deborah said...

Wow, you're luck totally sucks out loud!

themigrainegirl said...

What a harrowing experience! After having lots of trouble in the courtroom once (I was arguing a traffic ticket and, no, I didn't have to pay it--HA!), I took my jury duty letter as a bad omen. My neurologist wrote a letter to the judge saying that if I wasn't permitted to wear a hat and sunglasses in the courtroom, I should be excused. (Hats are disrespectful to the judge and I'd been scolded for this mercilessly when I went in to argue my ticket.)

So I got out! I actually wouldn't mind having jury duty were it not for the lights. Oh yeah, and if I could predict my migraines. And be able to leave if I wanted to. Oh wait--I'd hate jury duty.

In any case, my heart aches for you reading this entry!