Wednesday, December 19, 2007

This Little Piggie Went to The Market


Last weekend, I went to my first reflexology appointment. It was at a natural healing center, which was located in a big Victorian style house in a historic town of suburban Detroit. The lobby and waiting area had loads of bookshelves filled with books on healing and spirituality, rocks and crystals, healing cards, incense and aromatherapy products. The smell of the incense was a little strong for me, but I liked the calming music they had playing.

My reflexologist was a super nice young woman who immediately put me at ease. We spoke first about what was going on with my migraines and then she had me lay down on a massage table, which had a lovely heating pad that made me feel all warm and comfortable.

The actual treatment was not like a foot massage. It was more like pressure and touch. Apparently, your brain nerve is located in your big toe and that was sensitive for me. For a while, it seemed like she was playing “This Little Piggie” with my toes, because she was squeezing each one individually.

Afterwards, my neck felt so relaxed. It was amazing because I had forgotten what a relaxed neck felt like. I felt like a huge weight was off my shoulders. My brain was thumping away still, but feeling relaxed about it was a nice change. It was truly a nice experience.

I think even for the few days that relaxed feeling lasted it was worth it.

No comments: