Wednesday, December 12, 2007

“P” is for persistence

Do you want to hear what happened with my primary care doctor’s office who sent in the lunatic in the white lab coat during on one of my doctor visits from hell? I posted the original story in Another Doctor Visit From Hell

I left a couple messages for the site manager, and when I got no response, I composed a letter, detailing my horrible experience, and I mailed it off. A month later, I still had gotten no response.

Therefore, I forwarded my letter by email to the health systems corporate office. Guess what? That same day when I came home from work, I had three voice mail messages from the site manager, desperately wanting to speak to me about what happened. She even gave me her personal cell phone number so I could reach her.

I called her back the next day. She spent 20 minutes apologizing to me with a lot of corporate speak about how my letter had exposed a lot of flaws in the office, etc… and she was going to send a report to her higher ups about how she was fixing things.

It turns out the guy in the white lab coat was a medical student! (He was one-step up from a psycho disguised as a doctor.) She said he should have never said those things to me. No shit.

She told me that everyone involved in my DVFH got into major trouble, from the office staff, to my doctor, and to the white coat dude. Apparently, I really took a really big poop in everyone’s breakfast cereal by sending my letter to the corporate office, and the site manager said she appreciated my persistence in getting my bad experience noticed.

She even said she was worried about how many other patients may have tried to express their displeasure with the office and they just gave up when their calls weren’t returned. She told me that she had never seen my letter until corporate sent it to her. It had just been stuck in my file by the office staff.

So how much of this do I believe or was she just covering her ass because a higher up came down on her. She said she wished I would come back to the office to see the changes, but I'm still not sure if I want to go back there. Would you go back?

8 comments:

deborah said...

love the comment; "took a poop in her cereal" good for you. maybe, just maybe, THEY'LL WAKE UP AND PAY FREAKING ATTENTION!!! Now that they have yours that is.

you go, girl

Anonymous said...

It would have taken a call from the doctor and an apology from the doctor to get me back. You experience there was totally unacceptable.

Diana said...

Hell, no, I wouldn't go back. It's great that someone finally took notice of your horrible experience, but the people who will be treating you still haven't done a damned thing to make it right, and I suspect they don't care to do so.

I think you should be glad you were able get your message across and hope it helps the next person who goes there for care. I'd move on and try to find someone else.

Collegiate Migraine Sufferer said...

I think you should demand that they inform you of the level of treatment you SHOULD receive if that were to happen again and since you got the head-haunchos involved they may just treat you as a queen! If they don't apologize profusely and acknowledge the screw-ups then that's it!

Give it one 'regular' check-up and if they aren't kissing your toes go to another office and START your visit by repeating that story, keep going until you find people who truly care! See if you can find a doctor who also suffers migraines, they are REALLY helpful!

Emily said...

i think you should go back at least one more time -- assuming that you otherwise received good care from this office (previous visits). not only is a good doctor hard to find, but chances are good they'll be bending over backwards to make you happy. that can only help get your calls returned quicker.

Migraine Chick said...

I did receive good care from this office, prior to this bad experience, so maybe I will try them one more time, and if I don't get good treatment, I will continue my quest for a good primary doc.

Diana said...

Sounds like a good plan. You've got to do what feels right to you above all else. I really hope they'll make this right with you.

In Pain In Colorado said...

There is no way they should have treated you that way. I hate the response of "you have maxed out on your meds for today". Bull!! A REAL dr. would have given you an injection of something to stop the pain immediately and an anti-nausea medication. Don't accept this type of care. You are a customer and the whole office sounds like they are at fault.