Friday, November 23, 2007

Thank Heaven for Little Things

I’ve been feeling a little apprehensive about the upcoming holiday season, worrying about how things were going to shake out with my migraine pain, and I was worrying, rightly so. The day before Thanksgiving, I woke up with screaming pain like a vampire exposed to the sunlight. Maybe the weather front had caused it, or it was my hormones, or it was a bad past life experience with the holidays resurfacing in my subconscious. I was even wondering if it was all the angst from the turkey farm in Livonia, where genocide was taking place and my vegetarian soul was picking up the bad vibes.

I had to cancel my appointments and I had to call sick into work, which always looks great the day before a holiday. As I clung to my pillow, I tried to think of things to be thankful for, and my screaming brain replied that all this just sucked.

Still, there had to be little things to be thankful for, I told myself. Even if it is silly crap that only a migraine chick would appreciate. So here is my list of little things that I’m thankful for when I’m home sick from work.

1) Chamomile Tea with Lemon and local Michigan Honey.

2) My Kitty who sleeps with me most of the afternoon and lets me rub his belly.

3) My Migraine Bear, the stuffed animal who bears my abuse like a champion.

4) I Love New York-I truly appreciate this reality dating show on VH1 because New York keeps the intelligence so low that I can watch it with one eye open in major pain and I still know what’s going on.

5) The Family Medical Leave Act-which lets me keep my job.

6) My Mental Patient Clothes-this is what I call my big t-shirts and men’s cotton sleep pants that I wear during the day when I'm home sick. They keep me calm.

7) TIVO-my best friend in the world.

8) Kraft Easy Mac

9) Zombie Movies-they are my morale booster. At least I’m not a zombie.

10) Various Prescription Drugs!

3 comments:

Migraineur said...

1. Inderal.

2. My husband.

3. My endocrinologists.

Sherry said...

1. My comfy bed

2. TIVO ( I have to agree with you on this one!)

3. Rice Krispie Treats

4. Hubby to bring me real food and medicine.

5. Above mentioned medicines

6. My mom - to take my tearful phone calls when I just can't take it anymore!

7. My online friends at myspace and healthcentral to help me keep my sanity.

How to Cope with Pain said...

1. A heat-pack that I can heat up in the microwave, that lasts for 1-2 hours.
2. Petting my fat cat, and the fact that my husband hasn't killed the ornery cat yet. :)
3. My pain-blog community.