Sunday, November 25, 2007

Litemind List Writing Project


Litemind is hosting a group writing project about lists, where if you want to participate in the project, write a post on any topic, just make sure you write it in list format. They want you to be creative and try to pick topics that are not too niche-specific.

I've been trying to work on my non-fiction writing more, and this list maybe too niche-specific, but it's what I came up with. I know it's not migraine related, but in a sense it is, because I've been watching a lot more horror movies lately and I think it's in response to how I've been feeling about the loss of control in my life.

10 Tips on How to Watch a Horror Movie When You are a Scaredy Cat

Usually most people watch horror movies because they want the thrill of being scared. They can bravely watch the entire film without blinking. Then there are another class of horror movies watchers called the “scaredy cats.” They have a love/hate relationship with horror movies. Something compels them to turn on a film, and yet they are plagued with nightmares for a week. After being such a viewer myself, I have learned there are ways to get through a horror movie when you are an SC. Why should you even bother to watch a movie like this? Because watching a horror movie is cathartic, even if you miss the gratuitous gory bits.

Here are the tips:


1) You should watch the movie with the lights on. Everything is less scary when it is not so dark in the room.

2) Watch the televised version of a horror movie. Usually, they are edited for content so it cuts down on the more graphic parts.

3) Check out older horror movies like the original Alien. The special effects are dated by now so they don’t seem as awful.

4) Use a pillow to hide behind during the truly scary parts. It’s not very adult, but it does the trick.

5) During the bad bits, only watch the top two inches of the television screen using your hand to block out the rest. This way you can sort of see what’s going on, but it’s not as disturbing as seeing the entire screen.

6) If one movie really scares you like The Shining for example, try to watch it every time it’s on television and see if you can get a little farther each time during the movie before you are compelled to switch channels.

7) Use the music as your cue to hide. Usually during the horrific parts, the music gets louder, so when its gets quieter, it usually means the bad stuff is over unless the director isn’t playing fair.

8) The remote can be your friend. Use it to surf back and forth to the movie so you can see what’s going on now and if you can take it. If not, switch back to TV Land.

9) Watch the horror movie with a friend. Hide during the bad parts, but make your friend tell you in detail what is happening.

10) After you have survived the horror movie, watch something else before you go to bed like a comedy show, just so the horror movie is not the last thing on your mind before you dive under the covers.

2 comments:

Glass Pineapple said...

I think this is so funny because that is exactly how I watch horror movies, only I usually pull a blanket over my head instead of a pillow. Even if I'm watching it in the living room and it's 100 degrees outside, I still keep a blanket handy. I think the blanket covers me more completely so I'm safer. I've even done the blocking-most-of-the-screen-with-my-hand bit. I thought I was the only one!

Connie said...

I think you wrote this list for me, but the problem is I'm too scared to even try to watch horror movies!