Saturday, October 27, 2007

Migraine Plus Cold Equals One Cranky Chick


Right now, I've got a nasty cold on top of my migraine pain, which makes me feel like I'm living at the corner of Migraine Avenue and Cold Street. I'm not sure which is the worst thing to have with a migraine, a cold? a toothache? an ear ache? a sinus infection? It just seems like more than one type of pain in your head is a lot to deal with.

Do you know what I noticed since my cold started on Thursday? My co-workers were far more sympathetic about this snot ridden cold than they have ever been about my migraines. Everyone was telling me to feel better. There was genuine concern about how I was going to spend my weekend with my cold and did I have enough cold medicine, etc.

Is it because they can understand what a cold is like and not a migraine? Is it because they can see the snotty tissue filling up my trash can at work and not see the horrible pain inside my head from a migraine?

I found this really bothering me because I feel my migraines equal the distress of a cold.

7 comments:

Debbishoe Two said...

Sorry you're having multiple misery today.
About your co-workers, I think if they can't see it, it's not there.
Big problem with invisible conditions.
One good thing about the cold, it will go away.

Emily said...

ha! i know exactly what you mean. and coincidentally, i am also having a cold w/my migraines these days. (lucky me). i think, after considering the options, the worst would be a toothache. throbbing in your mouth, throbbing on your head...just no good at all.

and i experience the same thing about colds or flus, it's so funny to me. it's like, if i didn't have this along w/the migraine, it would hardly be worth mentioning. the migraines, on the other hand, are debilitating! i don't know. strange.

Angel said...

((((Hugs))))) I hope you're feeling better soon.

I have a cold too and a BAD fibroflareup. A headache on top of that is just the last straw. I just want to hibernate until it's ALL GONE.

Rachel said...

i just discovered your blog and it cracks me up! i have frequent severe migraines to the point where i sometimes consider quitting my job. it *is* amusing how my coworkers are symathetic to allergies and colds, but are starting to think i'm insane b/c of my headaches. i can see it in their eyes- they don't believe me!

Anonymous said...

It's been my experience that non-sufferers simply can't imagine a headache being that bad. They can't seem to take them seriously. My dad always thought I faked my migraines to get out of chores. 25 years and several doctors later, he still thinks I'm faking! Love your blog!!!

Anonymous said...

This is an old posting, but I just happen to have a very nasty cold with migraine (my doc even thought it might have been meningitis).

I also have an ear infection.

Anonymous said...

Good to know I'm not the only one who feels like crap. At least I know it is possible (thought it was only in my head) to be sick and have a migraine at the same time.