Monday, October 8, 2007

Attack of the Giant Verp!

One big disadvantage in having migraines is being unable to keep appointments, especially things like teeth cleaning and haircuts, when the last thing I want is someone poking and prodding at your head.

I had to cancel my yearly mammogram late last week because my head was acting up, and I thought I might pass out from the mixture of head pain and titty pain when the x-ray machine clamped down on me. I had to reschedule.

Therefore, I really didn’t want to cancel my dental appointment on Saturday morning, because I was already feeling guilty enough about the cancelled mammogram. When I woke up, feeling nauseous with my ears ringing and with my brain bouncing around the inside of my skull to a migraine techno beat, I decided to suck down a ginger ale along with some drugs and I still went to the dentist.

The minute the technician lowered me back in the chair, I knew it was bad and not just, “you can hang in there bad.” The fluorescent lights scorched through my closed eyelids and a giant verp (vomit burp) erupted from my stomach.

It was at that point that I said maybe we should just do the crown delivery today and skip the cavity filling for another day.

“Are you o.k.?” she asked.

I told her about the migraine. The dentist came in. She told him how I was feeling, and he agreed we should just try to do the crown delivery. He tried to pull off my temporary. “Ouch,” I cried. He had to numb me up. Then the stupid new crown didn’t fit. It was too loose. They were going to have to send it back.

He left. She glued the temporary back on. That’s the point when I started frantically gesturing for her to let me back up and covering my mouth. This was more than a giant verp. She got me up, ran, and got a wastebasket.

A few minutes later, it was over. However, she still needed to pick off the remaining glue. I washed out my mouth five or six times and she acted as if she was diffusing a land mine as she removed the remaining glue in my mouth.

So what did I learn? If you wake up with major head pain, reschedule your appointment no matter what, even if you have rescheduled three other appointments earlier in the week. It’s just not worth it.

4 comments:

How to Cope with Pain said...

I encourage my patients to just let everyone you schedule something with know that an unpredictable medical condition (or as much detail as you'd like) sometimes causes you to need to cancel at the last minute. Both professional and personal appointments.

It gives the other person a chance to not schedule, or make whatever adjustments would minimize problems a cancellation might cause them. For example, your dentist might schedule you last in the day - then if you cancel, they just go home sooner.

Remember, we can only do what we can do. No (or at least decreased :) guilt.

deborah said...

that totally sucks! I hope you feel better today. I've had to do that many times myself; and twice this past month with my own dentist for the same reason! migraine! although, it was for my daughter's appt. regardless, they know me well enough and are very accomodating. thankfully.

your skull is looking at me!

Angel said...

Oh I'm so sorry :( I hope you're feeling better.

Don't feel bad--I had a huge anxiety attack at the dentist once. We think it was the nitrous of all things (yes I am such a chicken, I needed nitrous to get my teeth cleaned!)

I had a crown replaced and it was just murder on my headaches. I can't get my hair washed at the hairdressers anymore either, so I have to wash my hair at home before I get a haircut. Which sucks because I *love* getting my hair washed (my grandma used to do that for me when I was little).

Migraine Chick said...

I've told my friends and family about my unpredictable migraines, but I never thought to include the information with a professional appointment. Thanks for the tip!