Thursday, September 13, 2007

"What's up?"

I'm so impressed with all the online support I received with my Amerge nightmare. I truly have wonderful migraine friends and I appreciate everyone who wrote me and left me comments.

Well, I considered everyone's advice and I called my neurologist. I had to leave a couple messages about the nightmare before I actually got through to her. Then when I did speak to her, I told her who I was and she said "What's up?" in a really casual tone which I thought was a little bizarre for a professional. I told her about the nightmare Amerge reaction and she said "Oh maybe you shouldn't be taking any triptans. Don't take the Amerge anymore." You think? I wanted to say to her.

She said I should try Midrin next, which I haven't tried and a couple online friends have recomended to me. She's calling in a prescription for me, and she said to let her know how I was doing in a few weeks time.

I'm thinking about trying the Midrin, but the instructions online say to take it at the start of a migraine. Since I'm having chronic daily migraines there is no real start or stop to them, just varying degrees of melon pain.

Then I read the Midrin side effects and I started freaking out, thinking about more trauma trying a new drug.

All this drug stuff is seriously giving me a headache just thinking about it.

6 comments:

Migraineur said...

I especially hate this part, which appears on pretty much every drug warning label now:

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects.

How patronizing is that?

Here's my question - if you are truly having a migraine most of the time, why is she even giving you abortives? Shouldn't she be giving you prophylactics? (This is a sincere question, not a rhetorical one - maybe you've tried all the prophylactics already.)

Bonnita said...

I've been taking Midrin for years now, and it does help most times. I've had no side affects from it, and it really is a good one to start with until you can get home and take the "big guns".
I use to drive a school bus and I couldn't even take cold medication and drive, but the Midrin was okay to take until I was done with my route.

Diana said...

I've personally always had positive experiences with Midrin. It doesn't work as well as my triptans do, but it never gave me any side effects.

I hope it works out for you. Hang in there. :)

Migraine Chick said...

My pharmacy is saying this stuff is on order. I think they are giving me the run around because everytime I ask a different person, I'm getting a different answer when it will be in.

Connie said...

No doc here but a very blessed past migrainer. I take a preventative - Topamax. Have you tried those yet? I can only do 50 mgs but I usually react to low doses of meds. It does the trick for me. I went from 4-5/week to 1-2/2 months now.

Keep us posted on how you're feeling.

JC said...

I hate drugs. Even if they do help me out. I hate relying on something that numbs nerves to make the pain go away. Eek.

I hope it works though! I hate trying a whole bunch of different meds trying to find one that works, so its always good to find one that works! Then you can stop switching back and forth!