Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Nightmare Reaction!

I saw a new neurologist recently and she wanted me to try another triptan (migraine abortive drug), even though I told her how I had many bad side effects with them. She prescribed Amerge because she said it was not as aggressive and longer acting than some of the other drugs.

Seeing how desperate I have been lately for migraine relief, I decided to try it last night. What a big mistake. I had a bad reaction to it. I had palpitations, chest pain, neck pain and tightness in my chest. My heart was pounding like crazy. There were bizarre stabbing pains in my head, and I was dizzy and nauseous.

This was so much worse than the last time I tried one. I didn’t even want to move because I was afraid of what might happen, but I managed to call a friend to come over and sit with me. I was so close to asking her to take me to the emergency room.

For three hours, I felt like I was going to die, and it didn’t even help my migraine!Finally, the symptoms wore off. Even if it had helped my migraine, I would never go through that again.

Now I’m so depressed because that neurologist had talked this drug up so much and I felt a glimmer of hope, only to be crashed back down on the rocks of migraine hell. (sorry to be so dramatic) I’m not even sure I want to call her. What is she going to do for me? Toss another expensive triptan drug at me?

What would you do?

7 comments:

deborah said...

I just sent you an email regarding this.

Diana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana said...

I think her insistence you try something you had good reasons to believe wasn't right for you is troubling.

But I wouldn't give her the boot on the basis of that alone. Did she listen to you and respect your opinions generally during the appointment? Or was she rushed and dismissive? Did she treat you like a partner in your care or just someone along for the ride?

I'm so sorry you had another bad reaction on top of a stinking migraine.

Migraineur said...

The health care system stinks - too many drugs, too much incentive to prescribe, too little incentive to spend time with patients. I really don't know what to tell you. When my primary care doctor doesn't seem to be listening, I keep repeating myself, politely, until I am sure she gets it. (I know that she gets it when she comes up with my idea as though it were her own. Fine, if that protects her ego ...)

Of course, if you decide not to dump her, you do have to tell her what happened.

I'm sorry you were suffering - suffering from your disease, AND suffering from the treatment. That sucks.

Angel said...

Oh I am so sorry! *hugs*

I may come across as pushy (or even bitchy) but I stand firm on what meds I will or won't try. If a doctor doesn't understand what upheaval a bad reaction can cause to your life (literally) or your morale, then you need a new doctor.

I had to stop taking triptans, they made me feel worse and didn't help my migraines. But nothing as scary as your reaction!

Hang in there and keep your chin up.

Mary said...

No you are not being overly dramatic. We want to think, we HOPE that this time, this pill, this treatment will be THE one. Hope deferred makes the heart grow sick. How many times as migraineurs are we dashed back on the rocks? My question...When will it be the one that finally breaks us and we fear to hope again? Doctors who do not experience migraines for themselves, or any chronic illness, have no concept of this, and therefore risk bringing us to our end without even knowing how easy it is for them to push us off the top of the mountain that they brought us up to.

Firing a doctor in itself can be disheartening; the thought of finding another one that is competent and understanding, and then starting all over at the beginning of your story. That is a tough decision. I hope it reveals itself to you gently.

Thanks for being faithful to a great blog despite your suffering.

Jaymi said...

Sorry for your difficulty, really. That's so scary isn't it? I know for me that sometimes I think okay, this is the migraine that will kill me. But to have the abortive doing all those horrible things to your body is worse yet.

I had a terrible reaction about a year ago with Zomig, but I'm so lucky that my doctor keeps on keeping on with other options. Interestinly enough I have had a little luck with Amerge.

Has using an injectable drug like Ketorolac every been offered to you as an option? Just curious. Hope you get the answers you deserve.