Thursday, August 16, 2007

Lunch Time Hell

Sometimes at work, my lunchtime becomes truly a nightmare because there is nowhere to go with a migraine to relax. Most of the time, I feel like I’m Goldilocks looking for the spot that is just right, or even better, I’m a troll, looking for a dark bridge underpass to huddle under.

The work lunchroom is always packed and there are two television sets tuned into different soap operas. The lights are bright and there are too many smells like tuna fish, etc…

The building cafĂ© is not much better. Again, there are blaring television sets but they are both tuned into CNN. It’s not as bright, but it can be very crowded.

The small park outside the building is beautiful. There is a pond with fountains and geese, but again it can be too bright on a sunny day, and there can be the noise of lawnmowers, etc, and the smell of flowering bushes.Not to mention the heat of hot summer day.

My car is the last resort, but sitting in the parking lot by myself makes me nervous, and it’s a far walk. It takes me six minutes to get to my car and the return journey takes another six minutes. Subtract that from thirty-minute lunchtime with a five-minute pee break thrown in and it’s not worth it.

Therefore, every day becomes a crapshoot with my trying to find somewhere to eat. In addition, I used to love to read at lunch, too, but I have the reading problem going on as well. I think I’m going to look into some audio book downloads for my Ipod. That might be a solution if I’m having a bad pain or vision day.

6 comments:

How to Cope with Pain said...

How about something relaxing, beach sounds or quiet music, on the Ipod. And even those eye covers people wear on airplanes, if you have your own office.

deborah said...

That ALL sounds terrible, especially, though, the tuna smell. I always cringe when my kids say they want tuna when my head is pounding and my stomach is crawling. EEwwww already.

It's too bad they can't locate a small room for people that cannot tolerate the noise; or for Mom's who need to express milk. Hmmm... would that be bordering on some right-wing disability room that just shouldn't exist in the first place??

Good luck. Wait, try this, turn the TV's off when you walk in, and the lights and call it YOUR damn room. One for quiet and one for loud. Since there are two rooms, it seems as though some kind of accommodations could be had. Wait, riiiiight, America. sorry

Joanna said...

:-( poor chickie! I'm sorry you have to deal with that. During this last school year at the middle school I worked at, my time for lunch was barely 25 minutes long... so even if I wasn't feeling well, I didn't have too much time to try to chill out even in a quiet room. I wish you luck in finding somewhere that you can go !

Anonymous said...

How awful not to have a place to escape from work, the noise and stress. I sure hope that your employer can work something out for you. I give you a lot of credit working while having such severe migraines.

http://www.mychroniclife.com

Migraineur said...

Can you ask to be the first or last person to take lunch every day? If you take lunch at 11:30, or 2:00, maybe you'll get the break room to yourself.

Migraine Chick said...

I think I will ask about an earlier or later lunch. Our lunches are never the same time every day because it's a call center and they are scheduled due to call flow demands, but they may make an exception for me. It can't hurt to ask.