Monday, August 13, 2007

Book Addict Crises

I’m a total book-buying addict. I love going to bookstores and buying books. I actually get a buzz from doing it, but lately, I haven’t been reading as much as I used to because of my migraines. If it's not the pain, it's the blurry vision or the lack of concentration. This is truly frustating because reading books is one of my favorite things to do.

Therefore, I have a huge pile of unread books mocking me. Some of the books I’ve even forgotten why I even bought them in the first place. Right now, my pile stands at sixteen books. And guess what, I went to the bookstore and bought another book this weekend! Like I need another one!

I have noticed it's easier to read diaries or fake fiction diaries (like Bridget Jones's Diary) because the story is broken down into easier chunks of days to digest, so I've been grativating toward those kind of books. Also, I'm not even attempting to read books with tiny print anymore. I just can't do it.

Has anyone else noticed a change in their reading habits like mine with their migraines?

7 comments:

Joanna said...

I am completely right there with you on this one... I have always been a voracious reader - I was an English major! The headache business has just completely made me cut down on my reading - concentration, pain levels, etc. It's so frustrating.

Emily said...

i actually read more -- except for my worst pain and auras, i can read in low light and try to distract myself from the pain. :)

once the pain gets to be too bad, it doesn't work. but a lot of the time it does.

JLW said...

I love books too! In fact, I spent $50 on books yesterday at Borders. I do find it difficult on the worst pain days to concentrate, so I too look for books that are easy to follow. I especially like humor to distract me. I always know when it's not going to happen though, when I start reading the same line over and over again. In goes the bookmark to try again another day.

Angel said...

I am such a book addict too! Don't ask me how much I've spent on books in the past month ::blush::

I can't read (or do anything for that matter) with a migraine. But thanks to my bronchitis and mono this spring, I made a huge dent in this year's reading list. And now that I'm back at the gym, I'm reading on the treadmill too.

But thanks to my splurges, the "to read next year" stack has exploded. I had to change my "2008" list to "2008-2009" LOL

I have to switch gears with books. If I read something kinda heavy, then I'll read a chick lit or children's/teen book next.

Books without chapters (or well-defined stopping places) drive me bonkers.

deborah said...

Since my migraines are FINALLY cominng to a more controllable area of my life, I hope, at least; I'm finally finding time and enjoying the reading I used to love. So much in fact, I have been going NUTS on reading.

I just took 4 books out of the library at our church last week, and finished 2 of them.

Laurie said...

I have the same affliction--endless book-buying!!! And no matter how many books pile up when I don't feel or am too busy, I can't help but buy more.

Have you joined Goodreads.com yet? A great place for book lovers!

Kim said...

I've been battling chronic migraine for almost 3 years now, and I am a voracious reader. I spent $50 at my local Half-Price Books on Wednesday, and got a stack of 12 books for the month. :) Fortunately, my auras don't interfere, I can read under a soft, low light, and if it gets really hard, I put on my sunglasses. (I do sunglasses for the computer screen, too.) If I couldn't read, on top of being virtually unable to leave my house during a headache, I'd literally go crazy. It's my distraction from the pain. Of course, if the rescue meds don't work and I have to go in for injections, then I'm screwed for reading for a couple days, because I'm sleeping it off.

I hate migraines. Really really hate them.