Friday, May 11, 2007

Attack of the Lilacs

Yesterday, a co-worker brought in a bunch of lilacs to keep at her desk. She is a super nice person and everyone at work loves her. The lilacs were from her grandmother's garden. Normally, I love lilacs. I even tried to plant some lilac bushes in my backyard a few years ago, but the seedlings didn't take.

Everyone at work kept going on about how good the flowers smelled, but they were killing me. My head was banging away with a migraine that started on Monday, and the flowery smell in the confined space was making me dizzy and nauseous.

How do you complain about one of the most popular people at work about flowers from her grandmother's garden?

She passed me in the hallway later and asked how me how I was doing. What was I supposed to say:

"I'm not so good. Your flowers are making me want to puke"

This reminded me of the air freshener incident of 2005 when another co-worker decided to plug in an air freshener under her desk right next to mine. I ended up getting sick in the bathroom and a supervisor found me, wanting to know what was wrong. I confessed. The air freshener was removed and I got dirty looks from that co-worker for months later.

So I decided to tough it out yesterday. At this point, what is one more bad migraine day at work. Just another day of the week.

4 comments:

deborah said...

Unfortunately, for you, you have migraine disease. you didn't ask for it, nor do you want it. the migraine-triggering killer lilacs CAN actually be removed, even by miss popularity. It just needs to be done in the right way. Take her aside (like to her car after work and beat the daylights) no!!! kidding! that's my migraine talking. Just explain that although her lilacs are gorgeous, they trigger migraines for you. Ask her if she suffers allergies or something she can relate to. Perhaps she's perfect, but bringing to your level, will help her to understand she isn't the only person in the office; and that although they are quite lovely, to someone else, they can be devestating. If you get dirty looks, ask them to take your migraine for the day,you'd gladly give it over. Just a suggestion. (or refer to the previous () above) NOT! Hopeyou feel better.

Migraine Chick said...

Thank you for your helpful advice. I will definately try this next time.

deborah said...

which part?

Migraine Chick said...

I need to try to remove the migraine-triggering killer lilacs the right way, instead of suffering all day long, and not worry about getting dirty looks from other people.