Saturday, April 14, 2007

Why I'm a Migraine Chick

I was a migraine free girl until perimenopause struck in my mid thirties, so along with the cliche mood swings and hot flashes, my brain decided it wanted to join in on the fun. It rewired itself into a highly oversensitive pain center, fluctuating wildly with every hormonal shift. Then my brain was so pleased with its accomplishments, it tossed in a few more migraine triggers like barometric pressure, sinus pressure and stress.

I've made the usual rounds to the doctors, taken most of the medicines associated with migraines, but none of it has really helped. It appears that I'm stuck with these headaches until my eggs dry up (not to be insensitive, but being a child free type person, I never needed them in the first place, so this is really irritating.)

In addition, I am slowly coming to realize that my coping skills are crap. My concentration is shot, and I maybe going just a little bit crazy. It's hard to face the world everyday feeling like the sky is going to fall. That's how I know I'm a Migraine Chick..

3 comments:

howtocopewithpain said...

Thanks for your link to my blog, and welcome to pain blogging!

If you're just starting to develop your own pain-management skills, I'd be interested in your thoughts about the coping skills I offer on my blog - what works for you.
HowtoCopewithPain.org

Dianne said...

Perimenopause can occur in your thirties? You know, when my migraines restarted in November, and I hadn't had one since I was 18 after being plagued by them all throughout adolescence, and I knew that there is a connection between migraine and hormonal imbalances, I thought, "I wonder if I'm in perimenopause."

Then I thought, "Nah, I'm only 38."

But maybe that's it. I'd like to think that's it. It would mean that this is not going on forever.

You know, I only discovered your blog yesterday, and already it's been a tremendous help to me.

Dianne said...

Er, not to put too fine a point on it, but I'm actually 37, not 38.

My brain doesn't work too well these days, either.